The fallout from the scandal continues after video was leaked online showing the mother-of-two and former wife of Geelong Cats great Jimmy Bartel appearing to be ‘snorting cocaine’ from a $1.50 Kmart plate during a gathering with friends in Melbourne on Thursday night.
No fines over the illegal gathering have yet been issued, despite police attending Batrel’s inner-city Melbourne home on Friday and confirming that they are investigating the incident.
The Premier warned Bartel to receive no special treatment and expect that she will be hit with a $5,452 fine for breaching lockdown restrictions when he weighed into the debate at Sunday’s Covid-19 update.
He compared the gathering to the infamous illegal engagement party held in North Caulfield last month, where police issued more than $300,000 in fines to the attendees.
Mr Andrews also had a subtle swipe at Bartel’s father, Tony Coppolino, who was photographed visiting his daughter at her home on Friday, several hours after the scandal made headlines.
The fallout continues for Nadia Bartel (pictured on Thursday) after a video of her appearing to be snorting cocaine went viral
‘My understanding that that matter would be treated no differently to the engagement party,’ the Premier told reporters on Sunday.
‘A number of people were doing the wrong thing.
‘This video is no different to the engagement party as it’s out there in the public domain and it would be anticipated that every single person at that house will be getting a $5,542 fine.
‘These really are decisions for the Chief Commissioner, but I would be absolutely certain he would want the law applied equally, regardless of whether you used to be related to a footballer.’
He added it was ‘everybody’s business’ and had an absolute expectation that people should be treated equally.
‘Otherwise it wouldn’t be fair, would it?’ Mr Andrews added.
‘For those people at that engagement party who have all been issued, as I understand it, except for the kids, they have all been issued with a $5,542 fine.’
He also fired a shot at Mr Coppolino, who was seen visiting his daughter at her home on Friday when Victoria recorded 208 coronavirus cases, the highest daily number in a year.
‘I also see on social media other people potentially visiting that house. No visits means no visits,’ Mr Andrews said.
‘Stay at home. Stay at home. That’s what the rules say and that’s what will keep us safe.’
The clip begins with the fashion and beauty influencer appearing to lean over the plate with a rolled-up banknote in her left nostril as she presses her right nostril. She then snorts the substance as one of the women watches on
Tony Coppolino (pictured) also came under fire for visiting his daughter Nadia at her home during Melbourne’s lockdown on Friday after the scandal became public
Bartel has gone to ground following her grovelling apology to her 563,000 Instagram followers on Friday night.
‘I have let you all down by my actions,’ she posted.
‘I take full responsibility and I am committed to taking all necessary steps to ensure I make better choices in future.
‘To my family and friends, my business partners and the public health workers trying to keep us all safe, I am embarrassed and remorseful.
‘I am truly and deeply sorry. I hope I can earn your forgiveness and, in time, your trust.’
Nadia Bartel (pictured) and her friends should expect to be slapped with $5,542 fines, Premier Daniel Andrews warned
Daniel Andrews (pictured) believed the former WAG should receive no special treatment
It comes as Victoria recorded 183 new coronavirus cases on Sunday with the state on track to reach its 70 per cent first jab target before mid September.
Around 101 are linked to known cases and outbreaks while the source of the other 82 remains a mystery.
Sunday’s figures take the state’s tally of active cases to 1,417.
Almost 48,500 Victorians came forward for testing while almost 30,000 rolled up their sleeves for the Covid-19 vaccine.
Health officials remain on edge about an explosion of cases in a pocket of Melbourne’s west.
They fear the latest outbreak could soon surpass Victoria’s horror second wave in 2020 which claimed more than 800 lives, and Melburnians spent 115 days in lockdown.
Of the 89 cases being treated in hospital, including 24 in intensive care, just one was fully vaccinated.
Mr Andrews remains hopeful families will be able to celebrate Christmas together.
‘Even though we are not chasing zero anymore, we are chasing the lowest number of new cases every day,’ he told reporters on Sunday.
Almost 48,500 Victorians came forward for testing while almost 30,000 rolled up their sleeves for the Covid-19 vaccine
Victoria recorded 183 new cases on Sunday amid growing concerns about the rapid spread of the virus in Melbourne’s west
‘Not only do I want Christmas to be as close to normal as possible, I want to do everything I can and appeal to our community to join me in that work to make sure that the tasks, the burden, the challenge that particularly our nurses also face in the coming weeks and months, let’s not make that job any harder than is already is.
‘That’s an important part on the way to a Christmas where hopefully Australia has opened up and we have got 80 per cent or more of our community through the vaccination program.’
He urged Victorians to get vaccinated in a desperate battle to hold back the ‘tsunami’ of potential cases.
About 11,000 AstraZeneca appointments remain available in the next seven days, along with 2,000 Pfizer appointments.
More than 60 per cent of eligible Victorians have already had their first jab and is on track to reach to 70 per cent milestone before September 23, when the government has promised to ease some restrictions.
The Victorian government has also expanded its relief package to provide an additional $27 million to vulnerable communities.
The funding will go towards isolation packages, food relief for major providers, emergency hardship support package for asylum seekers, temporary and visa holders and undocumented migrant and family violence support.
‘The package is very much about putting our arms around those vulnerable communities, very much ensuring that they can put food on their plate,’ Minister Luke Donellan said.
Of the 183 new cases, 91 per cent are aged under-50.
Almost half of the latest cases were in Melbourne’s north, along with 50 in the city’s west, which included 21 in the Wyndham local government area.
Shepparton in regional Victoria recorded six new cases, taking the town’s outbreak to 175.
Another eight are under investigation after more results came through late Saturday night
The Premier confirmed plans are underway to allow fully-vaccinated fans to attend next month’s Cox Plate at Moonee Valley.
Premier Daniel Andrews and health officials fear cases will soar in the coming days
Almost 30,000 Victorians rolled up their sleeves for the Covid-19 vaccine (pictured a Melbourne vaccination hub)
Dozens of shops, pharmacies, supermarkets and public transport routes were added to the growing list of exposure sites on Saturday night.
Banks, schools, apartment buildings and fast food outlets also joined the list.
A Costco, Chemist Warehouse and two child care centres were deemed as tier one close contact site, where those who attended any of the venues at the listed times must get tested and isolate for 14 days, regardless of the result.
FIND THE LATEST EXPOSURE SITES NEAR YOU
New freedoms for the vaccinated
Daniel Andrews has ditched a zero Covid policy and announced the key to lifting lockdown is boosting vaccination rates.
The premier hopes to start easing some restrictions once 70 per cent of residents have received their first jab. The state could hit the milestone by September 23.
He has made it clear the freedoms will be granted to vaccinated residents while the unvaccinated will be ‘locked out’.
Fully vaccinated residents could soon be allowed to visit:
– Outdoor music and sporting events
– Pubs and restaurants
– The Spring Racing Carnival
A new digital passport will be rolled out and linked to the Service Victoria app and the federal government’s vaccination certificate.