Get the day’s biggest stories sent direct to your inbox so you never miss a thing

“,”buttonText”:”Click here”,”contentId”:9916733,”newsletterImage”:”https://i2-prod.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article20819019.ece/ALTERNATES/s615d/1_JS236992378.jpg”,”endpointUrl”:”https://response.pure360.com/interface/list.php”,”profile”:”MEN”,”isPure360NewsLetter”:true,”pure360MailingListId”:”MEN – Daily Newsletter”,”isDoubleOptIn”:false,”newsletterSiteName”:”Manchester Evening News”}” data-mod=”skinnySignup”>

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More info

Manchester Airport has responded after passengers complained of huge queues at its new terminal.

Bosses accepted queues were ‘longer than usual’ and said they will ‘review’ what happened with Border Force.

Pictures shared with the Manchester Evening Newsshowed long queues at border control in the airport’s newly re-opened Terminal 2 on Saturday afternoon.

READ MORE : Huge queues at Manchester Airport’s new Terminal 2 – with suitcases piling up

Suitcases were also seen piled up on conveyor belts and spilling onto the floor at the airport – which is the third busiest in Britain.

A spokesperson for Manchester Airport said: “We are aware that queues at the border this afternoon were longer than usual.



Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

“Immigration checks are the responsibility of UK Border Force and we will review events with them to understand how these circumstances arose, and to ensure that passengers enjoy the best possible experience going forward.”

Terminal 2 recently re-opened after undergoing a major refurbishment in a £1bn project.



Suitcases piled up a the airport

It comes after reports of long queues at Heathrow Airport, one of the busiest in Europe.

Passengers at Heathrow claimed they were stuck in queues for five hours, and complained about a lack of social distancing.

A Home Office spokesperson previously said: “Our utmost priority is protecting the safety and health of the public and we will never compromise on security, and on ensuring passengers are compliant with the current health measures, which means passengers will need to accept an increase in the time taken to cross the border.

“The rollout of upgrades to our eGates to automate checks for health requirements is ongoing, with many eGates already in operation and more to be added over the coming months to increase automated checks on passengers at airports.



Suitcases on the floor at Terminal 2

“However, for safeguarding reasons families with children under the age of 12 are not permitted to use the eGates.

“Where there are high volumes of families with young children, such as over the summer holidays, Border Force may dynamically deploy resources to frontline desks instead and we continue to flexibly deploy our staff to make the process as smooth as possible.”

The Home office did not respond to the M.E.N’s request for comment.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what’s on and more by following this link

Read More