SABC3’s telenovela The Estate will move to SABC1 from 6 September and will broadcast from the first episode according to entertainment commentator Phil Mphela.

The Estate currently competes with e.tv’s second most-watched show House of Zwide which was viewed by millions of viewers last month.

Race for viewers heats up with ‘The Estate’

It will compete with Mzansi Magic’s most-watched telenovela Gomora which is watched by more than one million viewers and e.tv’s Scandal! at the 19:30 prime-time slot when it moves to SABC1 next month.

TV: The Estate moves to SABC1

The telenovela will air on the channel from the very first episode.

The current episodic run on SABC3 will remain as is.

The Estate will broadcast weekdays at 19:30 on SABC1, starting on the 6th September 2021.#KgopoloReports pic.twitter.com/Qy0tZiN0l4

— Kgopolo (@PhilMphela) August 27, 2021

Also read: ‘House of Zwide’: Fashion drama takes second spot on e.tv with over 4 million viewers

BACKGROUND OF ‘THE ESTATE’

The channel introduced the new telenovela in April this year as a replacement for Isidingo which ended in March 2020.

The Estate is produced by Clive Morris Productions who are also currently producing Isono which airs on BET_Africa.

Pat van Heerden who is SABC3’s channel head told News24 that The Estate is a metaphor, a symbol of modernity and status. 

The show tells moving tales of family, loyalty, love, sacrifice, betrayal, and human foibles while addressing some of the issues in our country as we scramble our way into the future.

The Broadcast Research Council of South Africa reported that the show received 529 123 viewers in April, 526 736 viewers in May, 492 127 viewers in June, and 503 193 viewers in July.

The cast members include Sdumo Mtshali who plays the role of Solomuzi Phakathwayo, his wife Jo-Anne Reyneke who plays the role of Lwandle, Zenokuhle Maseko who plays their daughter Sindi Phakathwayo and many more.

Also read: Kevin Smith discusses life after ‘Isidingo’ and his new role on ‘Isono’

CLIVE MORRIS’S’ PREVIOUSLY CANNED TV SHOWS

In August 2016 e.tv announced that it was cancelling Clive Morris’s telenovela Ashes-to-Ashes after two successful seasons on the channel.

The channel told viewers that the cancellation was not due to a lack of viewers, but rather to make way for new exciting shows.

The channel also dumped Broken Vows in January 2018 which was also produced by Clive Morris Productions after it struggled in the ratings since it was launched in April 2017.

Also read:Actor Sello Motloung joins ‘The Estate’ as businessman Elias Nkosi

Read More